Pages

Search this blog

Monday, April 13, 2009

Bhetki Hariyali

My Ma introduced me to this dish...she had first tasted it at a Wedding Feast (Biye Baari). She being the great cook she is, made this awesome fish preparation abiding by the instructions of her taste buds!

Much later, after marriage, when I was the one who had to do the cooking whenever friends or relatives came over, instead of just placing my 'order' to Ma, I improvised Ma's green fish recipe, made it microwaveable and hence easier, faster and hassle-free.

This dish has never failed to score brownie points whenever it has been on the menu when I entertained and its ease of preparation makes it one of my favourite recipes.
Ingredients:
A. For the marinade :
- Vinegar : 4-6 tbsp
- Ginger : 1tbsp
- Garlic : 3/4 tbsp
- Chilli flakes : 1 tsp (or depending on your spice preference)
- Black Pepper (freshly crushed) :1 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp

B. Other Ingredients
- Bhetki fillet - 750gm
- Coriander leaves - 2-3 big bunches
- Green chillies (1 or 2)
- Pudina leaves - 1 small bunch
- Pearl onions - abt 10-15 (I didnt have pearl onion, so I used normal onions, diced)
- Cream - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Capsicum : 1 big or 2 small- diced

Procedure:-
Fish

- Mix all the items at 'A' of Ingredients to prepare the marinade
- Now marinate the washed and cleaned fish fillets. For my convenience, I marinate overnight and cook in the morning. In case of hurry, 1/2 hours marination is sufficient.
- Grill or pan fry the marinated fish fillets. (This is an optional step and may be skipped)

Green Sauce Paste :
- Wash and roughly chop the coriander and mint leaves.
- Put them in a Mixie. Add a dash of sugar and salt, one or two green chillies. Make a smooth paste.





Assembling to bake :
- In a non-stick pan, stir fry the pearl onion and diced capsicum
- In a microwave proof deep container, spray/smear some oil.
- Arranged a layer of the fried pearl Onion and capsicum (keep a small quantity aside) in the cooking container.
- Pour half the quantity of green sauce paste on the fried pearl onions.
- Arrange the grilled / fried fish pieces.
- Cover with the remaining green sauce paste.
- Garnish with the remaining sauted diced onion/pearl and capsicum and a dash of cream (cream is optional).
- Bake it in microwave mode for 7-10 minutes.
The fish is ready to eat.
Note: Sorry about the awful formatting in this post...Blogger has been extremely non-cooperative...So till I reformat this post, please bear with me...
I had forgotten to click a pic of the Pudina/mint leaves. And this picture was taken from Google images

10 comments:

Sharmila said...

Good you made it microwaveable. :-) Sounds tasty. :-)

HR said...

I think I tasted this one... It was great .. I still remember... it was really a great preparation ...thanks for the treat.....

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Sharmila....Glad you liked it...tasty it is...that is if you like the taste of coriander...as for me I LOVE dhonepaataa and a sprinkling of the fresh green herb is omnipresent in almost everything I cook!

@HR - Yes sir you did...but you tasted the non-microwaved one....I prefer the microwaved one...it's simpler to handle the tender marinated fish fillet!
And reg. the treat, you are always welcome!

pradipwritenow said...

sharmistha i tried this recipe but modified it to Bhapa(steamed)but omitted Pudina because this influence the original smell of the fish. Back home Your kakima tried this in Micro version. i bet the Vapa version is better without being biased.

Sharmistha Guha said...

@PB- Pudina is an additive I used only in the most recent preparation of this dish ..that too just a handful of leaves...the shopkeeper had given a tiny bunch of pudina along with the dhonepaata..since i knew pudina dries off very quickly I used it up...its addition didnt do much to alter the taste either in the +ve or -ve way..

Bhapa would definitely taste good...will surely try it the next time.....

Have you tried bhapa ilish or bhapa chingri in microwave...it turns out pretty tasty!

kalpana said...

wowww...you fish recipes are very interesting and very tempting!you must be a fabulous cook :).I love fish and this one is a must try!

Yasmeen said...

Love the hariyali fish,I'm all for such healthy side dishes:)

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Kalpana - Thanks....yes this is indeed a simple and tasty affair!!!

@Yasmeen - Thanks so much...hope you try it out and like it as much as I do! And thanks for stopping by...hope to see you often!

Koel said...

looks and sounds yummy.....have to try this out :-)

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Koel-Thanks ...do try ..it's v.easy and taste heavenly!