Alu Chaat (Spicy Potato Salad)
And what would that be? Super confident after her debut as a masterchef just the week before with nothing less than SCRAMBLED EGGS, she proclaimed ALU CHAAT!!! I did a mental somersault in joy, thanking my lucky stars that she hadnt been too ambitious and opted for other lofty dishes!!!
So the potato harvester's recipe of Alu Chaat...
A) Potato Mash
8 medium-large sized potatoes
A bowl of Chhole - luckily it was readily available at home as when she announced her culinary plans for the day, the overnight soaked Kabuli Chana had been pressure cooked for our breakfast of Chana Masala!
very finely chopped onions - 1-2
roasted jeera powder
chopped green chilies (was not added today...for obvious reasons ;))
B) Tamarind chutney/water
2 tbsp of readymade tamarind paste or a 2" dia ball of tamarind soaked in water and made into a pulp
sugar - a little
a mug of water
1. Wash and pressure cook the potatoes after halving/quartering them. 2 whistles are enough.
2. While the potatoes are being boiled, prepare the tamaring water (tetul jol/imli paani) by mixing all the ingredients under "B" with water.
3.Now coming back to the potatoes....Cool, dunk in cold water and peel the skin. Mash with hand or masher.
4. Mix the mashed potatoes with all ingredients (except chopped coriander) under "A".
5. Add the tamarind water / tetul jol to make a moist spicy potato mash. Taste and adjust the other spices if required.
6. Garnish with sev bhujia / crushed phuchka/paani puri's puri / cornflakes and then finally with chopped coriander leaves