Pages

Search this blog

Friday, November 13, 2009

Hunger pangs and Frittata



Lunch skipped. No time to satiate my mid afternoon hunger pangs. Hallucinations of sinfully delicious cheese omelettes. Can you imagine my plight in office???? Even while driving back home, I was dreaming of the smell of eggs being fried, with my eyes wide open!!

The ravenous me attacked the fridge with full vigour and in a jiffy I had all I needed for a sinfully delicious stuffed omelette. The sausages sliced, onions & tomatoes ready (I always have some chopped onions & tomatoes in air tight containers for such emergencies!), cheese grated, eggs beaten and just as I was about to go ahead with the dish of my afternoon cravings, I changed my mind and what followed, culminated in a frittata !!



Ingredients :
Eggs - 2
Sausages - 3-4 (sliced)
Milk - 3-4 tbsp
Onions - 1 small - sliced
Tomatoes - diced - 1 small
Processed Cheese - 1 cube
crushed pepper - to taste
chopped green chilies - to taste / optional
chili flakes - to taste
Capsicum - 1 diced
Sweet corn kernels - a handful
Peas- a handful
Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
butter/oil (I used butter!!!)
salt to taste

Procedure :
1. Beat two eggs. Add 3-4 tbsp of milk/milk cream and keep beating till fluffy. Add salt and pepper...beat some more. And keep aside

2. Switch on the oven at around 200 deg. F for 10-15 minutes, to preheat

3.In a frying pan, add some oil. Throw in the onions. Fry till light brown.

4. Fry the sausages with tomatoes and capsicum

5. Add the sweet corn kernels, peas and add the salt pepper, chili flakes & green chillies. Toss around once again in the pan.
6. With the spatula, spread the fried stuff evenly on the pan and pour the beaten egg+milk/cream mix. Tilt the pan to spread the egg evenly to cover all the veggies and sausages. Keep on low flame for the egg to set.

7. When the top is almost set (but not fully), sprinkle the grated cheese and continue to cook on stove top on low flame till the cheese starts to melt.

8. Transfer the pan (after removing the handle) to your preheated oven and cook on grill mode for 5 minutes. I like my cheesy fritatta tops soft, with the cheese melting in my mouth. If you like the top crispier and browned, keep it in the grill for some more time while monitoring it.

9. Garnish with chopped coriander.
Enjoy!!!!!

I ate like a glutton....had almost 3/4th and suddenly remembered my little baby who loves eggs!
Dinner was a cakewalk with the fritatta and was over even before I could spell it out!!!

This can make a wonderful breakfast or brunch and can be packed in kids' tiffin. It can be eaten as it is (as I did) or with bread roll/slices or mashed potatoes!

Note : I used all the sinfully high calorie stuff....like cheese, butter, milk cream etc etc....it was an indulgence I should not practise often!!! Using olive oil, low fat milk, crumbled ricotta cheese/paneer will definitely be a healthier and low calorie option!! But........

6 comments:

Indrani said...

It's ok with me, sometime you should give yourself a sinful treat..It keep you happy and healthy...awesome looking frittata..will give this a try..can we make this on a pan?

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Sharmistha
I am going to do this mild sin tomorrow compared to the greater one I used to do..
egg is my favorite (what is not I wonder some times), there was a time ( of course away from home and away from " buri nazar"), I used to eat 6 -8 boiled egg, hot, sprinkled with freshly ground pepper and salt ..wao...
Whats cooking tomorrow ??..Niramish Mangsho by any chance??:-)
happy cooking

Roshni said...

this looks good! And, MY babies also love egg!!:)

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Frittate rock! I love them ... made them not too long ago too :) It's even more fantastic that anything and everything can go into them and still taste good! Love the beautiful hue of pale yellow.

Ju

Sharmistha Guha said...

@Indrani-Really...there's no harm in the occasional indulgence!! ;))
I made it in a pan but removed the handle before putting it into the oven

@UG-woooo hoooo!! 6-8 eggs a day!! That's an awful lot of sin!! ha ha ha!!

@RMC-Thanks! And so does my baby!!

@TLC-Thanks

Indira Mukhopadhyay said...

another pretty good recipe of FRITTATA!!!